Thursday, May 11, 2006

Day with a Difference - May 12, 2006


Today's Inspirational Quote:

If you really want to be happy, always try to do what's right. - Bill Blackman


Abraham Lincoln meets Grace Bedell

A few weeks before he was elected President, Lincoln received a letter from Grace Bedell, a 11-year-old girl from Westfield, New York, who urged him to grow a beard to help him get elected. In Lincoln's response of October 19, he gave no promises, but a month later allowed his beard to grow.

By the time Lincoln left his Illinois home to start his inaugural journey to Washington, D.C., he wore a full beard. The trip took him by rail through New York state, stopping briefly in Westfield on February 16. Once at the train station, he called into the crowd for Grace. The following contemporary newspaper accounts recorded the incident.

"Some three months ago, I received a letter from a young lady here; it was a very pretty letter, and she advised me to let my whiskers grow, as it would improve my personal appearance; acting partly upon her suggestion, I have done so; and now, if she is here, I would like to see her; I think her name was Miss Barlly." - From the Philadelphia Inquirer of February 20, 1861

Expand your knowledge base

Clean joke to sign off your week with laughter

Florist Mistake

On opening his new store, a man received a bouquet of flowers. He became dismayed on reading the enclosed card, that it expressed "Deepest Sympathy". While puzzling over the message, his telephone rang. It was the florist, apologizing for having sent the wrong card. "Oh, it's alright." said the storekeeper. "I'm a businessman and I understand how these things can happen." "But," added the florist, "I accidentally sent your card to a funeral party." "Well, what did it say?" ask the storekeeper. "'Congratulations on your new location'." was the reply.

Have a memorable day and a fun-filled weekend!
Priya

No comments: