Sunday, April 02, 2006

Day with a Difference - March 29, 2006

Today's Inspirational Quote:

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin

I Wanted To Change The World

When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family.
Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world."


Expand your knowledge base

Interesting Phrase Origins

Pyrrhic Victory - a victory that is won by incurring terrible losses Pyrrhic War - c. 267 BCE - A series of battles between Rome and King Pyrrhus of Epirus. Though King Pyrrhus was considered to have won the battles, the victories were thought to have cost more than they gained. King Pyrrhus even remarked that winning one more battle would ruin him, hence the phrase Pyrrhic victory. His words nearly rang true, when Rome decisively defeated King Pyrrhus, c. 267 BCE.

Have a memorable day!
Priya

No comments: