Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Day with a Difference - June 14, 2006


Today's Inspirational Quote:

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Want More? By: Sue Dickinson

Isn't life fantastic? Even if there are problems at the moment, think of all of the wonderful gifts that surround us. We have the ability to visit museums and beautiful parks for little, if any, charge. We can attend movies and live shows for just the price of a ticket. We have the option to eat out at an unlimited number of restaurants, and choose from an almost obscene array of groceries at the corner store. And on top of all that, we have special people in our life that we can share our love and care with.


Let's face it, when we compare our lives to what's happening in the rest of the world, we've got it pretty good. Even just the fact that we have access to a computer places us in a tiny percentage of the human population.

But, does contemplating the wonderful blessings in your life just make you feel worse, or, at the least, a little uncomfortable? Fear plays a big role in holding us back, and I have found that it is the activities that I fear the most that, if pursued, eventually lead to the greatest fulfillment.
For example, I have always been afraid of public speaking. I have chosen my career, my relationships and my lifestyle to avoid public speaking whenever possible. I've also stayed away from management, because I believed that I wasn't "management material". While I find my life rewarding, you can imagine the roadblocks I have encountered with that sort of mindframe.

But, I finally faced my fear a couple of years ago and joined Toastmasters. If you are not familiar with it, Toastmasters International is an organization designed to help individuals become better public speakers, communicators, and leaders. WOW, was I intimidated the first time I got up to speak! Terrified doesn't begin to define it. But, as with anything you work at, it got easier and easier to stand and speak coherently (if not eloquently). And now, almost two years later, I have come to realize that despite the fact that I may never be totally comfortable speaking in public, I can do it, and in a way that others will benefit from my message.

In short, facing a fear that I had opened new doors to me – but not in the direction I anticipated at all! While I have no idea where my newfound skills will take me in life, I am up to the challenge.

It has been said that all healthy people look for challenges. If you aren't facing a challenge you are standing still. So join me! Let's stop standing still and being spectators. Accept the challenge. Want more……of yourself.

Expand your knowledge base

I am a set of three words, all with the same four letters.
First I am small wading bird related to a crane.
Then turn me around, and I am a person not to be trusted.
Now switch my middle letters ...and I become a place to find an animal.
What are the words? Scroll down for the answer ...



























Answer
rail = a small wading bird
liar = a person who can not be trusted
lair = where an animal can be found

Have a memorable day!
Priya

1 comment:

Masilamanis said...

Thank you. good writing and thinking